View Single Post
      06-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #38
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
So true. Then the question is do they want to have a 340i as the top model ex.M. Given the 550i and 760i, i guess it wouldn't be too much for the 3, if they have a 135i even.
Well, they already have a 740i and 640i powered by the same basic I6 engine(s) used in the 5 series and 3 series (and others). So its not a stretch to imagine a 540i on the horizon soon, and once that happens the engine/badge will likely migrate down to the 3 as well. Basically, in the ever-present quest to one up the preceding generations of the car, the marketers wil continue to nudge the model designation higher and higher.

Quote:
Do you think they would ever let the N20B20 grow to 260hp?
I don't think it is at all far-fetched. Of course that doesn't mean it will happen. They might wait for the next generation I4 that will share an architecture with the next generation I6, and a new I3.

Quote:
It's not far from where its starting out, and the audi'S' and 'M' models really push it way higher, but why is the MB 1.8l T still at 204hp top tune (in the -25 designation)?
Mercedes has simply opted to favor a little better economy/emissions with their four cylinder models vs. a little higher performance. This doesn't necessarily mean they are more efficient than the competition, but they are more efficient than they'd be if they ran more boost.

Quote:
I don't know much about engines.. but I wonder why the 335 starts at 300hp and doesnt stray too far above it (max 340 for '1M') on a 3.0l, why do they push the 2.0l relative much more, or is the technology much advanced so its actually not stressing it very much?
The N20 is a newer design than the N54/N55. In time, especially with the next generation of engines I mentioned above, the I6 will make a lot more power. Rumor has it they are targeting as much as 133hp/L. So that would mean a 200hp 1.5L 3cyl, a 266hp 2.0L 4 cyl, and a 400hp 3L 6cyl.
Appreciate 0