View Single Post
      12-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #31
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

I think most people here are not taking into account certain things. Despite all the hype about EVs, they only make up about 2% of light vehicle sales in US. BMW has thousands of investors and employees to feed, so they can't just blow money on bunch of EV only non flexible platforms and hope it works out. We have all seen a lackluster sales of their hybrid and i models, so they want to keep it safe.

I actually applaud them for making plug and play EV units, they can probably make additional money by selling the electric drivetrains.

Also, one more thing to point out about most EV (particularly Tesla car) sales- it just happens to be that those who can afford it usually have a house with a garage and can charge it at home. Once that initial demand gets satisfied, there will be a plateau in EV sales unless there will be huge changes everywhere that doesn't make it a hassle owning an EV if you don't have a place to charge overnight.

Massive switch to electric vehicles may happen fast in small EU countries but it is not going to happen anytime soon in US. Norway car sales are 50% EVs but big cities like Oslo has a plug to charge on most parking spots.

Meanwhile if I want to install an outdoor charging point at our designated parking spot I have to go thru dozens of hoops just to get it approved by HOA, then spend few grand getting it installed and by that time fuel savings are not worth it.

Tens of millions of apartment dwellers in big cities and suburbs don't have a choice, even if they want to buy an EV.

Despite all the hype and ICE dying rumors, they'll be here during our lifetime and oil will still be a major source of energy for at least next few decades.
Appreciate 3