watermannc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Hi Everyone!

This is my first thread on the forums, as I recently got 2017 F30 330ix this year and am starting to look into beginner mods such as Charge Pipe, Intake and Stage 1. I will specify that my car has the B46 engine.

I've read all over that the stock BMW Charge pipe is plastic and usually cracks when under increased boost (or even stock boost sometimes), so that would be the first mod for me. However, I have a few questions and uncertainties that id like to discuss here.

1. Ive heard that for the 6-cyl engines, theyve beefed up the Charge Pipes on the later versions post LCI, but couldnt find anything relating to this on the 4-cyl. Does anyone know if the stock BMW Charge pipe is the same in a 328i vs 330i? with the N vs B engine designations.

2. After looking at and researching the B46/B48 FTP Charge Pipe (which is the least expensive option), I've seen some reports that it could increase temps slightly due to it being aluminum vs. plastic, which obviously conducts more heat. Anyone have any personal experience with this, or any other downsides with their aftermarket charge pipes?

3. Has anyone had CEL(s) after installing an aftermarket Charge Pipe on their otherwise stock cars? So far I've had no issues with my vehicle and would like to keep it that way. I have an ODB2 reader due to owning some older models as well so it does not worry me too much, but id rather not spend 350-400 CAD$ on a piece that ill need to change back out again to get peace of mind.

Sorry for the bunch of questions, I just want to make sure I'm making the right call. I've already contacted a local performance shop where I live and they can get the part, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers
I'm just gonna let you know, the chargepipe isn't AS necessary for our engines. For the b46 (I'm not sure about b48) we have an air to water cooling system. If I were you, I would rather go for an open air intake or an exhaust if you want better sound. This is assuming you don't want to void your warranty due to the fact that your car is a 2017 model. If you would like to live dangerously however, I would suggest going for an ER catless downpipe paired with a bm3 stage 2 tune. This is the best way to increase a lot of hp without using as much $$$ 👍

Also want to let you know, the FTP chargepipe is a great option if you would like to get rid of the cheap plastic one. It won't increase your temps so you won't have to worry about that 😂, quite the silly thing actually. I'm also using their chargepipe in my car but I am pushing a little bit more boost. All in all, it's a good product that will definitely be necessary if you want to upgrade your turbo or turn up the boost later down the line!
Appreciate 1
Avaley732.00