10-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtus02 View Post
Background and why the 435i:
I'm not experienced in track/autocross, any opinions on modification I give reflect spirited/daily driving. Previous car was a 1999 Subaru Impreza RS coupe, I wanted a more capable platform in the same configuration (coupe, manual, AWD) which narrowed the field to 4 Series or Audi S5. I live in Erie, PA which is consistently in the top 5 snowiest cities in the states. It is not uncommon to wake up to 12 inches + of lake effect snowfall or experience 40F deg swings in temp therefore AWD is almost required. I also got an amazing deal on it, buying it $6k below NADA listed clean trade in.

Minor annoyances after 1 year of ownership:
At 6'2 200lbs I barely fit, seat is all the way down and my hair will sometimes brush the top liner. Borderless windows freezing in winter, I have to use de-icer and/or force the door open let the car run 5-10+ minutes due to no automatic starter in a manual trans. Visibility in rain is poor no matter how much rain-x I put on the windshield. Only 3 wiper settings plus a not that great automatic setting. Beige/Black interior, would prefer saddle brown. Wish I would have waited for the B58 for more power, but the N55 is proven.

Modifications:
Plasti-Dip 435i Emblem and Front Grill
RW Carbon 3D Style CF Front Splitter
RW Carbon 3D Style CF Side Skirt Extensions
RW Carbon 3D Style CF Rear Spoiler
3.5 Inch Black Exhaust Tips
CTS-Turbo Intake
FabSpeed Sport Cat Down Pipe
Stock Muffler Mod
KW Street Comfort Coilovers
3mm Spacers Front and Rear
Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 et35
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 265/35r18
Rial X10 18x8 et30
Michelin Ice-X Xi3 245/40r18

Future Modifications:
Oil Catch Can
Charge Pipe
Bootmod3 or MHD
Camber Plates & 275/35r18 (unsure)
Intercooler (unsure)
Turbo to Intercooler Pipe (unsure)

Notes on Modifications:
Currently 7,000+ miles on CTS-Turbo and FabSpeed Down Pipe with no CEL on stock tune. I choose these components because I always want the option to return to stock tune without issue for inspection or trade in.

Stock Muffler Mod: The hot rod shop I took it to charged me $300. Mod includes cutting open the muffler and welding the holes in the perforated piping shut. The Valve System is intact and with the FabSpeed Sport Cat, stock midpipe resonator, and now essentially only a resonator in the stock muffler it sounds similar to the M2 N55 with a FabSpeed. No drone, relatively quiet on the highway, burbles in Sport(+), and decently loud when you get your foot in it (Stock Tune).

Suspension: Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 may require at least 3mm spacer with KW Street Comfort in front. On my car under extreme compression the inside rim will rub the strut with a 3mm spacer even though I can get my hand between the strut and rim. Note that only the drivers side does this, even without the 3mm spacer the passengers does not! I suspect is has to do with the damage my car had (bent strut and knuckle from previous owner) or I just lost the tolerance stack up RNG on that side. With the 3mm (front and rear) and 265s I do not rub outside fenders, my fenders are not rolled or pulled. For a track set up I would probably go with camber plates and least -1.5 deg with 5+mm spacers in front only with 265/35 Extreme Summer or 275/35 Max/Ultra Summer.

Nice setup!

I would say to get XHP trans flash (if you have 8AT) and xDelete. Especially xDelete as you're able to switch between RWD and xDrive whenever you want. I found the extra handling characteristics of RWD is great, and will help you with turn in and reducing understeer.