07-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Yes, it's the ZF unit and the same one used in the 1M and the M235. Basically the same ZF tranny used in the M2/3/4 except those units have slightly beefier 1-2 and 2-3 syncros.

The weakest link in these trannies is the 1-2 syncro. I strongly suggest not slamming the 1-2 often, especially if you have mods. If you do hit the 1-2 hard, please make sure the fluid is fully warm (i.e., at least 10 to 15 minutes of steady driving). I think a lot of people that have had 1-2 syncro issues are because they are slamming the 1-2 on cold fluid and/or running a lot more torque than stock. There is a ton of torque multiplication and wheel torque in 1st and 2nd.

The tranny itself is stout. All that needs upgrading is the clutch if you're running quite a bit more power than stock.
This is good information, thank you. So I don't have to worry about hard 2-3 shifts as much, correct? Also, I'm planning on doing basic bolt ons and jb4 for the foreseeable future. Would an upgraded clutch be necessary for that?
Appreciate 0