Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
Hey all,

Just wondering what numbers can i expect to see on a M performance LSD?

Im looking at one for sale and it has 33108659989 on the bag it is in but then on the barcode sticker it has 8659989-01/EAJ8335;2,81 and 901810160019008

Now ovbs i want to make sure its a LSD and not a open diff, can anyone tell me what else i could look for to confirm its a LSD diff ?
Just a heads up. In Oct 2016 I had my local Dealer attempt to install MP LSD pn 33108659989 into my USA Spec'd 2016 340xi with ZF auto trans. They were not able to do the install and stated "M Differential not compatible with xDrive vehicles" They also reference "internal part incompatible", I think the specific problem was with the axle shafts.
It probably is the axle shaft compatibility issue with your specific car.

FYI- I found that that same statement lingers on in BMW documentation with my car too, even though mine definitely is compatible with the MP LSD part# that I posted earlier. I have a 2015 335i Xdrive with the ZF 8-speed automatic transmission.

"M Differential not compatible with xDrive vehicles"

Through research I think that I discovered the reason, and it's not technical! It originated in marketing. When they first developed an M Performance LSD for the F30. It appears that they thought that track guys with RWD cars was their target market for an expensive dealer add-on accessory part. They didn't give Xdrive cars much thought so they never put Xdrive on the brochures. Somehow that led to someone actually writing down that statement. What they should have said back in 2011 was "Hey, we don't know if it's compatible. We never gave it any thought."

As it turns out, with the F30 335i with the automatic transmission, the rear differential, final drive ratio and half shafts are exactly the same whether it's RWD or Xdrive. So no compatibility issue in this configuration. If I recall correctly there are some configurations with a manual transmission where the half shafts are the same, only the final drive ratio differs. Lots of posts on it and guys who have done the math and say from a practical standpoint there isn't much difference. If the halfshafts aren't identical then forget about it. It definitely isn't compatible. That's the key. Lots of LSD posts you can research for more details.

Hope this helps someone!
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00