09-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #16
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I think the 520d is probably the best value BMW you can get.

The 520d was virtually the same sticker price, if not slightly cheaper, as an E90 LCI 320d, once you added the leather and other bits to bring the 320d up to similar specification. You have to say the 520d was much more of a car for the money.

I'll have to try builds for the F10 vs. F30 to see if it still applies. I'm aware BMW were pricing the 520d very competitively, to get drivers into the 5-series, as once you get them there they usually upgrade next time around.

HighlandPete
I had actually ordered a fairly well specced F30 but after checking with the configurator, I had to conclude that the 520d SE is a bit of a bargain so I changed my order to that. That said, they are very different cars. The F10 is much more quiet, refined and soft than the E60 I had before. The F30, in any line, seems to be more of a "driver's car than my F10 (with standard suspension).
The 8 speed AT is great in both the F30 and the F10.
Bottom line for me is that when I get into the F10 it feels like a much more expensive car and I love it. The last car that I liked so much was a 528i E39 AT but that too was a very different car.
I never really fell in love with the E60. It was just too rattley over any rough surface - too much to balance out the great handling. I never liked the manual gearbox - the change from 1st gear to 2nd gear was awful. It didn't seem to be properly tuned to the stability control and would bog down at awkward moments.
Putting aside the different driving characteristics, I think the 520d is better value for money than a 320d. I can't comment on more powerful engined variants.
Sorry for the ramble...