02-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #39
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP, SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_k View Post
So, ignoring the fact of MPG as it's looking it will be around the same. Would I be better of in the 335D for the xDrive or the 440i for the noise and fun? It's my first powerful car so not looking to end up in a ditch!
I test drove both the 435d xDrive and the 440i when I was looking for my latest car. I really didn't like the 435d, as it felt very heavy, and the engine note gave you no encouragement to rev it. And although it's an objectively quick car, it didn't really feel that quick on the road.

By contrast, the 440i sounds incredible - smooth, but with a spine-tingling howl when you push it... And although it lacks the diesel's immediate pick-up, the surge when you go past 4000 revs is intoxicating and addictive.

Six months down the line - and having spent a winter driving the 2WD 440i - I'm 100% sure I made the right decision. It's true that in the wet you can only use 50-75% of the power, but the fun I've had with the car compensates for that many times over.

And the icing on the cake is that I'm averaging over 36mpg, astonishing for such a powerful car.
Appreciate 1