lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
This is exactly correct.

Xdrive BMWs:

1. Don't have sport suspension (though can have adaptive dampers)
2. Sit higher / ride more like a crossover SUV
3. Sound a little difference because of the extra transfercase
4. Have steering that is more numb and less communicative
5. Weigh more
6. Are more common, because they're easier to sell in the northern parts of the country (average car buyers are brain washed and believe AWD does more than it really does)
7. Are a little bit more practical

Most, but not all car enthusiasts who value the classic BMW driving dynamic more than absolute practicality opt for rwd models and/or snow tires. Personally, I am fine with all-seasons (Continental DWS).
To be honest, it's where you live, and how much snow/ice you're getting.

If you live in an area where you get destroyed by snow (50cm+, temps drop below -20) every winter, and ice, it would be ideal to get the xDrive model as you have full traction on the ground with winter tires (mandatory in Quebec) as they are completely different from all seasons in terms of grip and stopping distance.

Where I live, it's forecasted to go between -10C to -35C and snows about 15-20cm a week. RWD is just too unpractical and you will get stuck as the snowplows here can't keep up with the amount of snow that falls, not to mention I work at a storage building around a airfield where the track is full ice and snow (so much fun drifting hehe)

It's more or less people getting stuck in parking lots, or side streets. I never have that problem in the morning as I just easily roll out, so I'm usually never late for work unless people drive below the limit because of the snow.

If it didn't snow as much here, I would be driving a E92 M3 or a C63 AMG at this moment, but unfortunately, Canada is called the True North for a reason.
Appreciate 0