Drives: 2008 328i

Model: 2015 328xi GT N26
Build: 11.2014
Mileage: 95k mi
Timing Chain Status: Before Loose, now tight
Oil Changes: Every 5k miles since 35k with Amsoil Euro
Stop/Start Status: Coded off at 36k
No whine noted

Took my car in to BMW Houston for service (battery,brake bleed, etc), ask them to check my timing chain as I was getting worried due to the miles. I never had any whine noise but when looking at the chain through the oil filler I can lift up the chain with my finger but not enough to lift above the cam. Got the car at 35k miles and it was always kinda was noisy but hey its a BMW.

When they checked they said that parts of the guide have failed and the chain needs replacement. At that time the service rep informed me that my VIN qualified for a BMW extended recall warranty. I though that it expired at 7/70 but he told me that my car is covered until 100k on a 60/40 program where I paid the 40% of the service. While they got it approved through BMW, I called a very good Indy BMW service shop and was quoted $2700 for the timing and oil pump chain replacement. When BMW got back to me they informed me that my part would be $1750 so I approved the work through them.

If you are over 70k but under 100k, call your local BMW service center and give them your VIN to see if you qualify for the program. As far as I knew, if you were over 70 but under 100, your part was 60%, not 40. He did tell me this extension was limited to a year.

Now the timing chain is tight and I cannot lift it with my finger, if you have this issue, see if it's loose. Because if it is then you are on borrowed time. The two things the happen are either the guide rails fail and clog the oil pump or the timing chain gets so loose that it jumps the cam sprocket on hard acceleration or deceleration. I would add that on rare occasions the chain actually breaks, but this is a rare cause. If it breaks its because the chain jumped off. The fragile guide rails are the weak point and after exposed to heat over thousands of miles they will become brittle and break.

Remember also I did not have any whine noise and changed the oil every 5k. Now with the new chain, the car is so much quieter at idle. I can't even hear it running from the inside which was not the case before.

If you have under 100k, check into this program. Could save you money, once you are over 100k then you are SOL and have to rely on an indie shop....if your chain doesn't break before then.

Good luck!!
Appreciate 2
rcaso26331.00