View Single Post
      03-08-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
zippyzebras
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i, Fiat 124 Spider

How many O rings should an aftermarket chargepipe need?

I ordered my VRSF Chargepipe with the clip and O-ring options selected, and asked in my order notes if that was all I needed, along with my VIN and model

The day it arrived, my stock chargepipe blew up... (not sure if that was good luck or bad luck)

The next day I had it installed, but the shop said two things:

- Do you have a second O ring? (I didn't)
- I couldn't get the C clip in, the original one fit.

Now the shop that did it does not work on BMWs, and frankly speaking, this was a bit out of their league as far as repairs go. It wasn't a shady tree mechanic or anything, but I got the impression their high ratings are from oil changes and helping people out with smaller issues in the neighborhood.

They were about to remove the AC compressor if I hadn't protested strongly, fully removed a coolant line that didn't need to come out, took out my air intake box but didn't bother covering anything, insisted the OEM CP could not come out the bottom, and took a Sawzall to it... so uh yeah.

I'm wondering if there's anything to their complaints, should there have been two O rings? They reused one of my stock ones which I absolutely hate (it was visibly damaged, which makes sense considering the stock CP literally blew up)

-

Long story short, I have a proper BMW shop that's going to install my FMIC and DP, and while they're in there I want them to "reinstall" my CP.

But I want to know if there's any parts I should order. I stupidly forgot to take the new C clip with me, so for those keeping tally I have:

- 1 new O ring from VRSF (installed for 3 days now)
- 1 OEM O ring (damaged)
- 1 OEM C clip (no apparent damage but old)

Do I need to order some replacements? Did the shop stick an O ring where it wasn't needed? This is a 2014 435i
Appreciate 0