The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Battery discharged, battery low, restart engine a nerd's diagnosis

Began receiving this message when shutting down my 2016 340xi, 9500 miles in our climate here in west michigan that has been 0f for several days now. I park in my garage which stays around 32f, park outside at work at ambient.

Of course initially alarmed, I restarted the car and noticed no slowing of engine cranking of any other indication of a battery supply problem, I checked the voltage at the battery posts underhood and this was 12.25v... or roughly 60% state of charge... keep in mind this is while connected to car and don't know what other draws may be present engine off etc

Anyway, at 0f you'd need 16v of charging voltage to even ever get to 100% state of charge or whatever state the intelligent battery sensor is trying to achieve, therefore it's my educated opinion the warning is faulty considering the car's charging system could not reach 100% in these conditions.

For reference my gf's 2017 escape is showing 12.15v at the battery terminals parked in the same garage and has no problems or warnings but I don't believe her car has the same battery warning logic.

Seems this is quite common on f30s and newer bmws with the result from the forums being "it just does that below 5f"... this is my technical result of the problem based on how batteries work.