12-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #49
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Most DCT gearboxes are no faster than the ZF8AT. Also, DCTs are crap in traffic, much less smooth in their operation and can only go from odd to even or even to odd gears. Which would I prefer on a track? A DCT obviously. But which would I prefer to live with? That's a no brainer since the ZF8AT is the best gearbox in the world right now
I agree with this (other than the comment that a DCT is crap in traffic because it isn't and is actually fairly smooth)... I believe the M-DCT might be faster (could be wrong) but at the speed in which they both operate it would be irrelevant. I also do agree that the 8AT is easier to live with day-to-day. The MCT transmission in the C63 is also very fast shifting (quoted at 100ms) which is likely similar to the M-DCT but it is no where near as "connected" or fluid in manual mode as the DCT.

A DCT's advantage is its feel and connection with the car in manual mode and that is the only area where no AT can really compare. The DCT feels and acts like a true manual (because it is) and feels like a direct link to the car. In manual mode and in aggressive driving it is incredibly fun in a way an auto can't match yet. Driving around town, this connection and responsiveness is much less relevant and the DCT isn't as good in those circumstances for sure.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0