View Single Post
      06-19-2021, 12:19 AM   #21
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
How many of the projects run into financial difficulty half way through (just before an ad break…) and yet they end up choosing seriously high end kitchen and bathroom fittings at the end, like £1k on a tap or £5k on a bathtub.
Its actually easily done!! We are spending £200k on the structural build for the house extension, so why would we than skimp on say paying £50k for a kitchen versus £25k, when the finer details is what you interact with every day?

Additional borrowing is also never going to be a small figure, if you are going to borrow an extra £100k, asking a bit more for higher cost finish items makes sense.

Remember GrandDesigns was about building a house YOU want to live in, not maximising profit for development or resale, so as long as things are affordable who really cares about the cost?

I recon our final build cost will not be far off £300k (original budget was <£100k!!), for that amount on paper we are going from a 4 bed room bungalow to a 4 bed room bungalow and loosing the main family bathrooms in the process!!!

For us anyways its about the chance to live in a home we really have 'designed' for what we want and no one else. Financially it makes zero sense, and we don't even need any extra space. Builders are suppose to be visible today for some final discussions before work starts in late summer.......cannot wait.

SteveChester I'll let you know if we are still sane in 6 months time, but given we first had the idea of doing some building work back in 2019, time really does fly. If you are serious getting your finances in order now is probably a good start, as without ££££ its a none starter, and the sums involved aren't pocket change to people so require some careful planning and risk assessment. Once you have an ideal of what you can afford, than finding plots etc can start, but it all takes time, which actually gives you a chance to plan and work out how to financially to support the project.

Last edited by gangzoom; 06-19-2021 at 12:33 AM..
Appreciate 0