View Single Post
      07-20-2018, 05:52 AM   #21
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.draper View Post
I recently changed my oil cooler about a month ago due to a freak accident. Caused oil to leak. Changed the part out, took it to the nearest BMW to make sure it was ok. Had an oil change, car was fine. About a week and a half later. Driving on the highway. Did a short acceleration to get around a vehicle to exit the freeway. Soon as I come around, the RPMs shot up high, warning message comes on to say Drivetrain malfunction, car immediately goes into neutral. Had to coast it on the shoulder.. had the car towed to BMW and they say the engine locked up, 25k in repairs. Currently waiting on full diagnostic to come back so I can see what exactly is wrong.
Quote:
TBD. BMW said they don't know where or what caused it.. so I'm pushing them to really give me a detailed answer
Quote:
So BMW said that the engine seized due to sludge.. I'm no fool and I know a N55 engine doesn't develop sludge at 68k miles. Especially with routine oil changes
The chances of an engine seizing due to "sludge" is rare. Sludge takes quite a while to build up and even then, you'll probably have increased oil pressure over time which may trigger a fault.

What is the actual diagnosis? Have you looked for a 2nd opinion? If you believe the sludge diagnosis without a 2nd opinion, you probably deserve to pay $25k for a brand new engine.
Appreciate 0