View Single Post
      07-19-2019, 02:24 AM   #334
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Staunch Tory or Labour voters don't decide elections. The swing voters in the middle do. And in my opinion it's seriously misguided to think that the leader and potential Prime Minister doesn't influence those votes.
I certainly accept the point about the importance of swing voters and I also see some of those will be influenced by who they think might end-up in Number 10 as a result of their vote.

However, whether that's sufficient to justify an automatic General Election whenever a governing party changes its leader (and therefore the country's PM) is another matter. Personally I don't think it is and, as I said in a previous post, I think the noise around it this time is largely because of the individual who might end-up in Number 10; Thatcher was a long-serving PM - and for many a successful one - but I don't recall the same outcry when the Tory party had an internal coup and replaced her with Major. Who knows, if that hadn't happened perhaps we might not have signed-up to Maastricht and hence the distraction of Brexit (now over three years and counting) would never have arisen!
Appreciate 0