11-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #74
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Hi Pete,

Interesting to see all these views in whistling, wheezing and other noises - guess I must be out of date on what should and shouldn't whistle. I would say, though, that you shouldn't be hearing loud whistling that's very obvious inside the car. I agree about hearing a faint whir and whine from a modern diesel with the windows down.

I wouldn't mind a bit of nice smooth 'turbine's sound, but I'd rather just hear the rather lovely engine sound, as it sounded on the 330d touring I tried.

I've read that variable vane turbos can make a bit more noise than fixed ones - certainly the case with my 530d when I switched, though it's never intrusive.

Dave
Certainly my f31 330d has very little whistle audible in the car. But with windows down it makes an awesome range of whistling noises as it goes on and off throttle. Nothing like traditional turbo whistle due to varying turbo geometry I guess, but most different is the almost complete lack of off after boost chatter/whistle. It just whistles across various pitches as you accelerate and when your done mutes away immediatley.

I can honestly say that the car (the engine mostly!) impresses me as much by its refinement and smoothness as it does with awesome performance. I'm genuinly stumped as to why anyone would want the 328, you would have to love petrol stations and the sound of a four pot... I drove both and for the first time ever I'm confident the diesel is the best all rounder.

Never thought I'd say that :/

I'm getting about 38 mpg by the way, mostly driven in sport with no real effort made to conserve fuel - so I think it's actually quite impressive!
Appreciate 0