11-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #76
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by movietub View Post
Certainly my f31 330d has very little whistle audible in the car. But with windows down it makes an awesome range of whistling noises as it goes on and off throttle. Nothing like traditional turbo whistle due to varying turbo geometry I guess, but most different is the almost complete lack of off after boost chatter/whistle. It just whistles across various pitches as you accelerate and when your done mutes away immediatley.

I can honestly say that the car (the engine mostly!) impresses me as much by its refinement and smoothness as it does with awesome performance. I'm genuinly stumped as to why anyone would want the 328, you would have to love petrol stations and the sound of a four pot... I drove both and for the first time ever I'm confident the diesel is the best all rounder.

Never thought I'd say that :/

I'm getting about 38 mpg by the way, mostly driven in sport with no real effort made to conserve fuel - so I think it's actually quite impressive!
Hi movietub, thanks for the comments on whistling. I was a bit perturbed by what I'd heard others (and Autocar) say about whistling, but this sounds pretty reasonable. Interestingly, I swathed the blower in my 530d to a variable vane as part of a tune-up and I noticed it does a fair bit more in the way of whistling.

Should get my F30 330d M Sport circa 15th December - can't wait to get my hands on it!

Dave
Appreciate 0