View Single Post
      11-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #208
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

I'm pretty sure the 335i is actually aimed at the BMW purist. It's closer to the 330d than the 328i in terms of general performance so that should be the comparison to make.

And both the 335i and 330d (for the first time ever I think) appeal to the same person. Someone who wants a fast BMW but is determined to hang on to 6 cylinders!

For me I went 330d for company car tax reasons. But if private I would probably have justified the 335i, I still prefer the reviness of petrol - although the 330d really does rev as well as most would ever make use of. And neither car features any turbo lag that's worth mentioning - effectively none at all.

The 328i was never a comparable car for me. It sounds and feels like a small engine being forced in to doing things it just doesn't want to do. And whilst not exactly laggy, there is a brief low RPM lack of torque, that you would be crazy not to expect from a 4 pot.

That's the reason for the 335i. 4 pot turbo engines make sense, but for many of us we need the smoothness and easy torque of the extra two cylinders.
Appreciate 0