View Single Post
      12-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #67
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
I'm clear, we just disagree on the resolution.

Most parts are not made by BMW. It's all purchased by BMW and then rebranded. So I don't know the brand that makes the OEM filter, but like you said it might be Mann. Typically for something as high volume as a filter, it could be more than one supplier.

If the filter is found to be a Mann filter, then they (BMW) would seek damages from the supplier (Mann or otherwise). On the corporate end, the next step is BMW has to prove that the part failed due to a manufacturing defect as well. They'll go back and forth until they come to an agreement, or sometimes the cost is just split down the middle when no resolution is found. So again, none of it is just cut and dry as far as who owns the cost.

But at no point does the owner have to seek damages from specific parties when using OEM compatible parts. As a supplier for an OEM, you sign a contract to get the designs that are needed to make compatible parts and promise to support these kinds of warranty claims. That is what allows you to sell the parts under an OEM part number. That goes for every supplier that you see listed on sites like ECS, Rockauto, etc.
If the filter is found to be made and branded as a Mann filter, it's on the customer to seek damages from Mann if the Mann filter but BMW compatible filter is found to be the root cause of the engine damage. BMW has no obligation to warranty a defective non-BMW branded item or any resulting damage from that defective non-BMW branded item regardless of whether it is "BMW compatible" or not. In this case, you'll have to deal with the part manufacturer (Mann in this case) and a shop for the repair if you cannot repair the damaged components yourself.

If the filter is found to be made by Mann but branded by BMW ("Genuine BMW part"), it's on BMW to make the customer good if the Mann manufactured but BMW branded filter is found to be the root cause of engine damage. BMW can seek damages from the supplier of the BMW branded part later on. But you, as the owner, just have to deal with the BMW dealership for a warranty claim.

The same case could be applied to BMW branded engine oil vs OEM branded engine oil. However, a dealership service department can't tell the difference between BMW branded engine oil and OEM branded engine oil after it has been drained simply based on a visual inspection. They may not be able to tell even after oil analysis if the two products are truly identical.

This isn't necessarily the case for the oil filters as oil filter is labeled/packaged with slight variations in branding and text that any non blind person can see.

If BMW were to warranty any resulting damage from a "BMW compatible" item, there's no point to purchase a Genuine BMW part at all. It wouldn't make sense.

At the end of the day, here's how I see it. I may take the risk on a OEM part like a strut top mount, wheel bearing, etc. An OEM part where the potential damage from a defective part is easy to diagnose and the damage would be minimal in terms of cost to remedy. If the cost difference between a Genuine BMW oil filter and a BMW compatible oil filter is $3, that's peanuts compared to the potential repair costs of a catastrophic powertrain failure which may result from the use of a non Genuine BMW part. That's a no brainer.

But if you've already done something to your car like an aftermarket ECU tune where BMW would void your warranty anyways, then whatever.

Last edited by Polo08816; 12-03-2018 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0