View Single Post
      02-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #18
Broker2009
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i m sport

Easy Peezy

So after removing the 5000 8mm screws holding all the underskirting up, the job's pretty easy. (8mm & 10mm deep sockets with 18V impact driver)

Remove under skirts, the L shaped one twists once all the screws are removed and then can be removed--you'll see what I mean...

Remove the V shaped metal bracket with T-50 & T-60 Torx bits.

Remove the exhaust--first the clamp bracket near the engine (16mm wrench), then two torx bolts at the center of the exhaust (E10 Torx Socket) and two at the muffler (13mm socket). Taking the exhaust out is a one person job--putting it back, well you are probably better than me, but I asked for assistance getting the muffler back on it's bolt mounts.

Remove the metal heat shielding (10mm socket)

Use a 13mm wrench to take off the fender washer/nut holding the parking brake retainer to the body. Then remove the 13mm bolts to the gas tank straps. if they haven't broken off already, remove the parking brake cables out of the way to get to the fender washer/nut holding the retainer to the body bolt. Now pull the gas tank down so you can get the retainer off of the bolt and slide the retainer off of the tank with a screwdriver. The retainer slides into a notch in the gas tank and acts as an additional secure point for the tank to the body. I did not lube the new one up to get it back on. It went on easily once I pulled the gas tank down enough to push it past the mounting bolt. That part's a little tough but not too bad. It's best to get the parking brake cables out of the way. the one wedged b/t the gas tank and the drive shaft is the worst..

Did not remove the drive shaft but did notice it was leaking fluid from the center bearing so I've called my dealer about fixing that under warranty. I have a third party warranty that I was hoping would do THIS job; however, in their fine print, they don't cover fasteners, bolts, nuts, screws.

Once your parking brake cables are secured back in the retainer, you can reverse order and reassemble everything.

Took about three hours including getting the car in the air with jackstands and tire ramps. When it breaks again in 45,000 miles, I expect to be able to get it done in under two hours.

Cheers and let me know if you have any questions. If you got skillz, this is an easy job. Very few tools needed--just huevos.

Last edited by Broker2009; 02-29-2020 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 2