View Single Post
      01-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #135
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

My tale of woe

Back in March 2 years ago, whilst in a courtesy car from my local dealership, I was certain that I had been flashed going through the smart (dumbest) section of the M5 between J 17 and 16, the limits on the gantry change like fruit machines. After 8 months I had heard nothing
Just before Christmas I received a letter, to my new address telling me that I had been fined £980.00 in my absence, no further info at all. I immediately called the number on the letter to be told that - I had been fined £100 for speeding in March, I had then been fined for failure to identify myself and had been found guilty of failing to reply to a request for payment. Hmm, at what point did they decide I didn't live at the address they were writing to?
So in the words of Spandau Ballet...……… I had to attend court, give a statutory declaration that I had not received any of their letters, all accepted and a £265 fine, I did question the amount and if I could take a speed awareness course, nope was their reply because, the fine system changed 2 months after my offence and that due to time passed, I wasn't eligible for the course.

Why? I hear you moan did I not get the initial fine...…. despite the DVLA and BMW having my new address details, sadly their bodyshop (who had taken a copy of my correct driving licence) decided to forward the initial letter/fine to my old address. Angry phone call resulted in them paying the additional fine and apologising profusely
Appreciate 0