Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawramp View Post
Hi just putting my experience forward.

BMW F30 320D Reg July 2013 3,700 mls .uk

Today I have been to my local BMW Garage as both the driver's and driver's side passenger's foot well's were full of water.
They have replaced both front water Drainage Grommet's as this is where they Identified the problem to be.

They showed me the old grommets and for such a new car with low miles the grommet on the driver's side was full of thick sludge
Preventing the flaps in the grommet from opening and allowing the water to drain away.
Even this surprised me as my car has never been used in dirty conditions and is always cleaned regular and garaged

Strangely they did not at any stage say this was a known problem but continued to tell me it should be fine now as they had fitted a newly redesigned replacement part that should prevent this happening again.

So this problem is obviously known to BMW and is a manufacture design fault . These Grommet's are hidden from view somewhere deep in the engine bay around the wheel arch /Bulkhead area on both the Driver's and passenger's sides so keeping them clean and unblocked yourself is impossible.

I would suggest that any F30 owners should check their carpets regular for any signs of dampness .
The sludge is algae or biofilm. It's not really "dirt". As you noted, there's no easy way to keep them clean.
Appreciate 0