View Single Post
      01-29-2018, 12:09 PM   #46
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW F30 View Post
Nope. I just had a low coolant warning once and the guy at the dealer said it was nothing
If BMW chooses to deny warranty coverage for this, at the least, BMW owes you a technical explanation of what happened from their investigation. That is something worth perusing through arbitration, letters, and even potentially legal threats if they don't give you that information.

I would ask about the coolant levels because the intake manifold on the B58 is filled with coolant and these cars have a documented history of loosing coolant. Some are underfilled from the factory, but others we know were consuming coolant in some fashion, whether at the turbo or the motor itself. There have been reports of replaced turbos and one M240 owner just had his B58 motor replaced because of coolant consumption.

A coolant leak in the intake manifold could:

1) Cause hydrolock the motor. This would be the result of a larger leak and would kill the motor immediately. This isn't what happened with your motor.

2) A smaller leak could create potentially cause a misfire and/or worse, wash the cylinder and wreck a piston ring(s). This could cause a misfire and due to reduced compression (leakage).

Also on the 2 series forum, someone just had their VANOs system replaced on their M240 because of misfire issues.

Like others noted, I have a hard time believing your mods were source of the problems. However, BMW does have a lot of lawyers and will usually point their finger at the modifications even if the cause of the failure is a known issue on stock cars.