10-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #875
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine128 View Post
This weekend I am picking up a very clean used 2016 428xi GC with 16,000 km. Trading in a 2013 128i MT () but wife and arriving baby will be happy.

Absolutely love the car. Incredibly clean with performance and premium package, 19 in wheels, and m sport brakes. Interior is not how I would spec new but the more I see it the more it feels right.

Reason i'm posting is that dealer has offered BMW Platinum warranty with the vehicle. At 16,000km I'm hoping that it will be a long time until any of these more major mechanical problem became an issues.

Also, this new car is more technologically and mechanically complex than my 128 and I am leaning towards the reassurance of a warranty.

Should I go for the BMW Platinum warranty?

Cheers! and happy driving this weekend
If build date is more than 03/15, then timing chain wise you should be fine.

Generally, it seems to be a solid car as long as you change your fluids at proper intervals. Don't change oil at BMW intervals. 8k km is my maximum. Change coolant, transmission fluid , differential fluid, brake fluid, etc. In general, do proper maintenance.

Since you are at low km, I would recommend an oil catch can to not have carbon buildup on the intake.

Transfer case can be a problem, which seems to be with decent frequency, if you have xdrive. There are steps that you can take to reduce that risk.

Whether I would go for the warranty depends on the price and how long it will last. Personally, I don't view it as an absolute necessity with this car, again, as long as you do all of your maintenance properly. Generally seems to be decently reliable beyond Timing chain, transfer case, thermostat, and turbo.

There are the trademark BMW problems, like Valve Cover, cooling system, oil filter housing etc.

Warranty wouldn't be my first instinct for this purchase. But if it were a really good deal and the value seemed to be worthwhile compared to the repairs and when those repairs happen then I would. You are at 16k. Depending on how much you drive, it could take you many years to reach the point where Valve cover usually needs to be replaced, for example. If the warranty doesn't cover this, then I wouldn't factor the cost of valve cover in to the value of the warranty. Or cooling system problems as well occur at higher mileage, so if the warranty does not extend until then, then there is no benefit there.
Pauloxxi339.00