View Single Post
      06-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #26
Snow King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Today an idiot that was kind of in a rush punched the gas in his X1. Needless to say the 4 cylinder engine note is terrible it sounded like a Dodge Caliber. I've owned Audi/Vw 1.8T/2.0T and they were pretty underwhelming...it's not that bad in the GTI due to it's noise pipe and lighter weight. BTW Bmw will have no problem selling that car to yuppies or badge whores. Just yesterday I was remembering how smooth my 135 engine was(I'm not a F/I guy) but geeez what is Bmw thinking. They should offer that 4 banger in the 323I, offer the N/A in the 328 and F/I 335. But like an other guy mentionned earlier it wouldn't surprise me if Bmw change the engine line up by next year. Personally I don't want a 4 cylinder Bmw nor other heavy cars(like my old a4 was).
If it was just up to BMW, I doubt they would go this route. But remember there are governments and industry groups that have set MPG and emission targets and they are making those incremental changes to meeting those targets in the years ahead.

Be prepared to see this type of "downsizing" including more hybrid/electric cars from all car manufacturers.
Appreciate 0