Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
I'm not sure I agree. HTHS, and NOACK volatility tests etc. are done with "fresh" oil. ...........

These two oils are pretty damned close, though based just of the flashpoints and TBN, I think I'd lean toward Pennzoil between these two, as wear metals are pretty close. If TBN is any indication, I'd be inclined to think the Pennzoil will fare better between these two if I were to stretch out my OCI.

All said, I'm really looking forward to the results from the Amsoil I'm currently running. Project Farm on YT recently ran a series of tests on about 20 different oils. Amsoil and Pennzoil came out on top, with Amsoil coming in "1st place." I'm really interested to see what that Analysis shows.
Volatility change from new is a function of how well the fuel delivery is

Wear metals will be similar between oils, the TBN depends on the new oil TBN formulation. Around 8 is average garden variety oils, 12 TBN is the good stuff for long term running. However I am not sure what the TBN for the BMW spec oil is to be. European specs lock in a formulation and don't allow timely improvements to follow the latest technology.

Are you using the European formulation of Amsoil or one of their other oils? Results should be good based on the 40 years I have been using and doing UOA.
TBN isn't a be all/end all.

Starting TBN is defined by the underlying ACEA specification.

MORE is not better. Over addidized oils can cause problems on modern engines (ex Timing chain wear, poison emissions systems).

Some oils with a high starting TBN experience a faster drop than comparative oils with a lower starting TBN.

Some advanced AW additives do not show up in TBN analysis.

You really want to know the TBN/TAN ratio.

Base oil is not everything. For example there are PAO LL98 oils which cannot meet the performance requirements of LL01. There's no such thing as 100% PAO automotive engine oil because it would harden the seals and cause other issues. It's why all oils are a blend of base oils, AW additives, viscosity index improves, etc.

Shop certs and price.

Oh and if one is concerned about NOACK then buy BMW TPT 5w30. It has a NOACK of 6.

http://pqiadata.org/BMW_5W30.html

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0