View Single Post
      12-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by movietub View Post
That's why I said wheel size (tyre + rim) instead of tyre.

People clearly do fit larger tyres and rims to fill out the wheel arch better. My point is that the extra starting height of the AWD models makes that tougher. Not to mention I never heard anyone ever say they were glad to have the extra ride height.
Ah, you are not referring to OE combinations...

As to ride height, some delete M-sport to get softer and higher riding suspensions. Up here with single track roads, higher ride height helps to prevent bottoming. My 535i M-sport runs the higher ride height, pleased the higher setting came with adaptive suspension, helps cope with local roads.

A bit of history to xDrive, in the saloons and tourings. One of the Scottish dealers were working on BMW for years, to get them into the UK. Customers were wanting All Weather capability, some not wanting SUVs, or having to go to the competition to get AWD. Don't think many of the Highland drivers will be worried about ride height being 10mm different.

Probably some of them will be used to specifying rough road packages as optioned by some manufacturers, which increase the ride height above normal settings. My daughter in law had a VW Golf spec'd with the rough road package, to negotiate an unmade lane.
Appreciate 0