04-20-2021, 08:45 AM   #30
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danddd View Post
Just like the prior few posts, I asked that the dealership, Bill Jacobs in Naperville, IL look into updating the steering on my 16 F31 to SIB 32 03 19 during an oil change (had a $25 off coupon). And just like chakatrain, there was an overall software update that could be done. So I went that route for $290.00.

The steering may be slightly different, but not much. It seems the center numbness is now a smaller area, but still there. Understeer is still present at a little push into the curves at speed.

The G20 330xi loaner had a better center feel than my F31 and didn't understeer as much at all. It did have a sportier feel. Sport steering was horrendous as there was weird feedback that didn't really need to be there, like the tires bouncing, really weird.

One of the articles I read in Car and Driver stated that the steering motor turns off at the center and turns on when the steering wheel is moved off center. This seems to be where the problem lies. I asked why can't that be programmed out. Of course, they can't as this saves approximately .01% in gas mileage. I use approximate as I am not sure the exact # from the article 6 years ago.

Overall the F31 is a nice step up from my E91 in many ways except for the reason I always liked Bimmer's and that is overall driver engagement and feel. I am a road bike guy so I always appreciated the feel of the road. Electric steering is here to stay though.
Do you have the variable sport steerng? Mine does, and that update made the feel a lot better compared to the version the car was delivered with.

I have seen other threads about improving feel. Apparently swapping the lower front control arms with the M3 version (you do need an alignment once this is done), changes the camber and makes it a lot better.

Never tried it though.
Appreciate 0