View Single Post
      09-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #125
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagianotto
Disregarding the goodbye to the world's last RWD hatchback, which is a colossal shame, I actually would've preferred to see a bmw subbrand (akin to bmw i) to promote these cheaper fwd cars than to have one amidst bmw's main lineup.

It is really saddening for a bmw fan to see the company slowly (well, not that slowly as a matter of fact) throw away all principles that once led to the "ultimate driving machine" in favor of market share.

And even though I understand the need to look for other pieces of the market in order to expand, I actually do think they're undermining their legacy that got them to the top of the premium brands in the first place.

That research about how 1er owners didn't know their cars were RWD was misinterpreted, in my opinion. The fact that a consumer doesn't understand how a car works does not mean they don't appreciate how well it performs, especially in comparison to the competition.

I think it was Henry Ford that said if consumers were asked what they wanted at the time the car was invented, they would've answered a faster horse instead of a motored carriage, even thought they would've preferred the carriage all along, and never knew it.

BMW consumers (at least historically) want a car that has more dynamic and sporting appeals than the competition, and RWD plays a huge part in giving BMWs that dynamic edge, even if only a small part of the consumers (us, enthusiasts) is actually aware of how it works. But a FWD 1er has no difference in comparison to an a3 or an A-Klasse, except for the design and the badge.

Unfortunately, though, that just means that the consumer profile of bmw will change - enthusiasts will have to look elsewhere since their cars no longer have that dynamic edge, and all that's left will be badge whores and poseurs. A pity, really.

But, just as the consumer is only interested in their own needs and wants, BMW is only interested in profits. So, to each their own. My f20 is my first BMW, but the way things are going, I don't even know if I'll ever go for a second. In any case, to me, doomsday came way before this announcement, though - it happened when car magazines elected a cadillac as a better driver's car than a 3 series.
Fully agree with your first statement - It is a crying shame the only hatchback BMW do is going FWD as this was what made it so different - RS3 was faster but understeers for example.

If BMW can make FWD and xDrive models and already have the tooling for RWD why not just make a RWD option for those of us who want the correct wheels to power the car?

I don't want to be nasty but this is a shift to style over substance which will ultimately cheapen the brand - you can't have an exclusive car brand that everyone owns - that is a non sequitur. Stick to what you do best
Appreciate 0