03-10-2022, 09:42 AM   #15
wrongmark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i, F31 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The parts expense of replacing the timing chain and guides isn't all that dear, it's the time involved that makes it cost so much to have it done. Might as well replace the valve cover gasket while you're at it, if it hasn't started leaking yet it will.
I've priced up everything I need to be around £420 (mostly from my local BMW dealer but some parts from Autodoc - mainly gaskets and seals). That includes replacement bolts, gaskets, seals and new oil pump assembly.

I've ordered the timing tool from Amazon for £70 (coming tomorrow hopefully). The current plan is to put the engine back in time first, check all is running ok. Then do the timing chain in a few months when I have a bit more time to spare.

Obviously I'll take a good look at the timing chain guides while I have the valve cover off and if I spot anything untoward, I'll just have to bite the bullet, get everything ordered and do the full job.

Got my old man coming round with his popup gazebo (rain forecast for Sat ) for an extra pair of hands and mainly moral support.
Appreciate 0