egrimisu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 420xd 190HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrimisu View Post
Which tune software shall I look for, I don't even know the names.

Saw in a post of yours that you turned your rig from 4wd yo rwd only with codding. How and mostly why did you done that? What's the benefit? I would like to try that to get an idea o a rwd car, never drove one.
Leaving mechanical modifications aside, your two 'easy' routes are ECU piggyback devices or a remap (reprogrammed ECU).

There are plenty of options for each, and the piggyback devices can give results that are competitive with a remap. They can be removed for servicing, and transferred if you change cars (but would need recoding for the new vehicle and probably a new wiring loom) but be aware that they can still leave a 'trace' if BMW was to fully investigate the residual parameters stored by the ECU. That said, the piggyback devices vary enormously in terms of technical sophistication and the way in which they operate. You would need to be able to find your way around the engine to make the correct wiring connections, or pay a garage to do it for you.

Most piggybacks operate on the basis of spoofing the main ECU into delivering more boost (pressure generated by the turbo) and increased fuel rail pressure. A small number (i.e. AC Schnitzer) operate on the basis of altering the diesel injector 'firing' duration - these are a safer means of operation, as components like the fuel pump are not simply worked harder, but are much more expensive.

Some options that you may want to investigate regarding piggyback units :

Tunit
Spider
P-Tronic
Mosselmann
Racechip
Chipexpress
DTUK (the 3 and 4 channel units seem to have a good reputation)
AC Schnitzer - offers a full engine and drivetrain warranty, but expensive
Steinbauer (manufacturer of the units sold by AC Schnitzer, but no warranty).

Personally I prefer the remap route. There are plenty of good tuners in the UK including DMS, Evolve, and Unicorn Motor Developments. If you live in France and don't want to make the journey across the Channel you'd need to look for tuners with a good reputation. I've had a DMS remap on may car for the past 50K miles, without any issues. The remap has not caused any issues with BMW regarding warranty work (not engine/gearbox related).

Whichever route you take, make sure you know the law regarding vehicle modifications and the insurance implications.
This post should be sticky in this thread. Thanks for all the details, things are a lot clearer now.
Appreciate 0