View Single Post
      12-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #311
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
So, these are the numbers for 5GT globally.

The data is sorted by 2012 YTD, and the 2012 est figure is based on monthly averages by Q1, Q2 and Q3... not that scientific but won't be too far off.

Make of it what you will, but it shows that to say the 5GT shouldn't exist because it's a poor seller would imply that BMW needs to drop 6 or 7 other models too.
Interesting chart.

BMW should ask themselves why they lost sales on the popular cars from 07 and 08 numbers.
Seems when they 'added' new models some people who may have bought the other cars bought the new models instead.

If a broader global strategy is better, then one would expect to see continuing growth ON TOP of the sales numbers, and not nearly the same total number after adding models.
It looks like BMW's new models may be cannibalizing sales within their own line.

That's just an initial impression I gleamed from the charts, more analysis is worthy, and I expect BMW has done it.
But, it still begs the question as to why some of their past very popular cars have dropped in sales. Looks like the new models may have simply helped prop up sales and not really increased them as dramatically as the number of new models introduced would expect.

Look at how well BMW did with 5 series sales once they spent more time fixing the 5 series.
The 6 is also doing much better with the redesign.

Why no Z4 after 08? I wonder how well, or not, the new model is doing.

The X5 may have suffered sales after the intro of the X6.
Total combined X5 and X6 sales for 2011 show an increase of a bit over 25K cars sold, compared to the 07 X5 all on it's own.
Yet investing a lot of money into R&D and construction of the X6 has resulted in only a 25K cars sold increase.
Is/was that investment worth it, along with now having to continue future development and build lines for 2 different models?

The 1 series has done really well for BMW, yet, they have taken way too long to bring the new replacement. And now that they have sale have increased again. The 1 series coupe is holding it's own even though it's way old now. The vert is doing well as it needs a replacement badly, and yet where is it? The 1 coupe and vert have done very well in the US/NA market.
Where is the new 1 series for the NA market? Where is the 1/2 series sedan that so many would love to have?

Total BMW sales from 07 compared to whole year totals in 2011, shows an increase of 103,561 sales in 5 years from 07 to 2011. And within those 5 years, 4 NEW models were brought in. That's a lot of research, design, and construction investment for only a 103.5K increase in total sales between 5 years. Doesn't seem as big of an increase considering the investment to get those 4 new models to market.

I'm wondering, instead of using investment to improve and build on already successful models, it seems a lot of time, money and effort has been spent on creating new niche models that may end up simply competing within the brand instead of actually creating NEW customers.
I'm sure the Chinese market will be the bigger payoff once it really starts rolling.

The Chinese market has huge potential for all manufactures, and I can see BMW wants as much market share as they can get, and of course they should.
I just don't want to see a neglect for the base/core of BMW's existing customers, with the core models that do and have done very well for them.
Personally, I REALLY wanted a new replacement for my 135i, either a new coupe or a sedan, but it didn't happen, and it's long overdue.

I'm no expert clearly, but to me I would want a new and/or niche model to create NEW sales, bring in new customers, and build sales numbers, rather than cannibalize one models sales for a new model.
"On top of" sales shows the benefit of a new model rather than "instead of" sales.
Appreciate 0