View Single Post
      04-01-2020, 03:28 AM   #20
Funkier
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 316i + F54 Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFastM3 View Post
If you recall, I had a desperate call for help (thread Coding Help), when I changed something and my HUD would not display any graphics from the NBT.

I was given some great advise on how to code the ECU directly to reset defaults from @HFW003.

My personality however didn't allow me to go through this and I spent the whole day and majority of the night coding and re coding figuring out what the hell I did wrong.

Finally I found out unfortunately my machine ran out of juice for me to take screen shots but I will update this thread later.

Basically the HUD works on two principles or "areas" and as a specific type

BMW makes two HUD's the first I am assuming is the old type:
1. HUD with its own controller and logic
2. HUD controlled by KOMBI computer - F30 has this one

Area 1: Is a feed from the KOMBI and it works on a resolution of 217 x 100 or 189x XXX (Something when my machine is charged I will update), this is controlled by KOMBI_AUTOXXX (XXX= spelling I will update), this allows you to specify the resolution of the first area which is where all KOMBI messages are displayed. Right now I am running it at 217 x 100 and that works well

Area 2: Is the feed from the NBT flag NBT_AUTOXXX, now this works ok on 217 x100 until you do some navigation then all the arrow view navigation types don't fit on that part of the HUD. The arrow is cut off and all other directions are also cut off. So minimizing it down to 189 x 1xx worked like factory.

The other interesting part was the flag that turned off coms to AREA two (I will get the name and post here when updating above).

Then came some other interesting parts, there are flags for the type of BITMAP displayed on the HUD (for intersections etc) and the resolution as well.

It seems like BMW can show anything from the NBT and the Kombi on these HUD's. The question now is WHEN. It would require a ECU update from BMW to show more info on these HUD's the architecture is certainly there.

Will update the thread.
Outstanding work! Do you think we can fashion out our own additional displays with Arduino's for example?
Appreciate 0