Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
but what happened to both OP and me is the car DIDN'T tell us anything, and by that time we were down 2 qts.. I had no warning (!) or notice on my iDrive until after I did it manually through the settings, but the time before that it popped up by itself.
OK. That sound weird. This has always worked for me. How do you know you were 2 qts low?
the iDrive showed the same message as your picture, level at "Min" add 1 qt, so I added 1 qt and drove a few minutes. when I remeasured, it showed the exact same screen still at the "Min" level and to add a qt, I guess it doesn't show any lower, so I added the 2nd qt and let the car idle a few minutes. checked again and it showed at "Max". but from now on I'm not going to wait for it to automatically notify me, I'll check it manually every few weeks. also going to be stepping up to thicker oil, hopefully that helps reduce some burn off. what oil weight are you running, and average ambient temperature?