08-05-2020, 06:39 AM   #28
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Agreed. There have been three BMWs in my family which were purchased outright brand spanking new. Each one was maintained by the book, garaged, and loved dearly. They all turned into lemons by 80-90k miles. You can do everything right but still get screwed. Meanwhile my Lexus IS just keeps chugging along without issue. BMWs are simply not engineered to last on purpose.
I've had 5 BMWs. I still have 4 of them. Total driven miles is 930,000. Total chassis miles is 1,050,000; two cars were bought used, 3 cars bought new. The fleet spans from the E30 to the E90. In 30 years, just 2 breakdowns on the road that required a tow truck. All cars are (or were) daily drivers at some point. 3 still get driven over 200 miles per week.

While not the largest sample of BMWs in the world, it's still a decent real-live representative example. I can't speak to the reliability E90 N54 3-series and model years past that with turbo engines.

All cars break.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."