View Single Post
      07-25-2018, 06:09 AM   #14
kobluna
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesf30n20 View Post
If you are only getting a high pitched whine when acclerating and it’s more pronounced with your ac turned on theirs a chance it could be your accessory belt wearing out, they don’t visually show signs of wear but I’ve had a wine with my car before and ignored it the ones day doing a pull my belt snapped, after replacing it the whine was gone.
I don't know if the sound is more pronounced when AC turned on but of course it's easier to hear any sound if blower is off. Anyway it might be it, I'll have to keep an eye (or ear ) on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
For the timing chain, I'm not entirely sure if it goes away when lifting off the pedal, but depressing the pedal is needed in order to get the whine to come out. I would honestly have them check it if you're under warranty.
Unfortunately here in Finland we only have two year warranty. However, we do get goodwill from BMW or from distributor pretty easily if all of the services are done properly (which are in my case). But for my understanding, timing chain would make a very loud whining which is easy to hear. The whining I hear is pretty subtle and I didn't even get it to hear on video. So I guess I'll just continue driving and keep checking if any other symptoms occurs.
Appreciate 0