View Single Post
      04-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #37
JDMAF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i 6MT xdrive, 2015 STi

you can try to justify the costs of maintaining and repairing BMWs all you want but they really are off the charts imo. And comparing them to a subaru is nuts. I have owned two STi's and one of the best parts was how inexpensive they are to repair and maintain. I bought my own oil (Motul) and let the dealer change it for $60-70 total each time. Hell you can replace the entire STi engine for $5-6k. How much would that be for a B58 or N55 - not to mention an S55 engine? I have a 2010 X3 with 77k miles. Its been out of warranty for awhile and in that time I have spent $550 on a new battery (absolutely absurd along with the programming jive) $2400 on new brakes, $1750 on yaw sensor and something else associated with it (cant actually remember). Also just had the drivers side mirror and housing replaced after it was struck by fallling ice from roof of partially enclosed prkg lot. That cost $1100. Cause ya know its a BMW (motor, heating element, painted housing blah blah blah) was somewhat softened by insurance paying after my $500 deductible. Some of this could have beeen avoided with an extended warranty - which I debated but ultimately did not do. I do think the moral is if youre going to own/drive a bmw out of warranty - be prepared to pay.
Appreciate 0