ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I received my new AA Flash tunes from Nic yesterday

Thought I would walk thru the operation with a couple things of note:
  • Once you receive your cable, there will be some instructions included that has a link to Simon3 software DL on their site - ignore that. The new 2018 Simon3 cables require a different software that still hasn't been updated with the AA branding. Contact either Nic or Andrew & they will send you a link to their dropbox with the correct iFlash program (you can ignore the PDF instructions also as they don't really apply to Fxx cars)
  • Once you receive the link, DL software, plug your Simon3 cable into computer, install software & drivers
  • Now you're ready to read ECU info from your car to send in to AA for the new Flash Tunes - nice thing with Fxx cars is that you don't actually have to do a full Read of your stock tune (like back in the E9x days) - so no need for battery charger at this point as the entire operation takes like 30s
  • Plug cable in to OBD port & computer, push Start button 1X just so gauge lights are on, RUN iFlash program - it will go thru & check to make sure your computer is up to the task on 1st screen (15s). Once that is all green, it will go to 2nd screen where it Reads your car ECU Type info
  • Takes like 15s to get info (which will auto populate in all fields at top of screen) then ask if you want to set your cable to these values & lock it to your VIN# (double check your VIN number that is auto populated before hitting YES. Your car is now married to the cable, hit 'NEXT' - at this point, DO NOT hit 'Read ECU' instead look at bottom left corner for button that says 'Copy Text To Clipboard' - hit that button & Paste info into MSWord doc to save for ever
  • Send that file in to Nic @ AA, he will ask what octane gas you're running, & any mods up to date + options you want in your new Flash Tune(s)

Since I am in PA & must pass emissions I opted for:
  • 93 Octane
  • NO O2 Delete
  • Keep Cold Start
  • MPerformance Burble (this was recommended by Andrew as a nice noticeable burble, but not overly aggressive with shotguns & such, what he has on his car)

I had him send:
  • New Stock Tune
  • Stage1 Tune - reported to run around 16-17PSI
  • Stage2 Tune - reported to run closer to 18.5 PSI

I still have (1) more free tune available thru the purchase

Nic will then send you the new Flash tunes you requested + PDF of correct instructions (took around 4hrs to get new tunes in my case)

Now you are ready to flash & you will need to do the following:
  • Hook up battery charge for peace of mind
  • Connect Laptop w/Simon3 cable as before (plug IN laptop to AC power for peace of mind in case battery power would give out in middle of Flash)
  • Ignition ON so gauges lite only
  • Door Open
  • Run iFlash program & on Identification Detail screen click on 'Diagnostics'
  • Click 'READ Coding Data' (this will read in any/all of the custom coding you have done to your car & save it to a separate file - (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT STEP - DO THIS BEFORE FLASHING ANY TUNES)
  • SAVE this file with in an easily accessible place (Save file will be used later to Write Coding Data)
  • Close Diagnostics screen & click 'Program ECU Memory'
  • ALWAYS select the Stock tune from AA (larger 4MB file) for this 1st go around (not necessary after this 1st time unless you want to go back to Stock) hit OPEN. Flashing the Stock tune will take approx. 15min
  • After Flash you will be prompted to turn OFF ignition. Turn OFF car & click 'Ignition Is OFF', wait 30s & turn ignition back ON, click 'OK' on the 'Successful Flash' prompt
  • Click on 'Diagnostics' again, & click on 'Write Coding Data' Select the file you previously saved & click 'Open' this will Write all your specific Coding data back to car
  • When done, turn OFF car, wait 40s & the car is now ready to drive

> After the full Stock flash is done, you can flash any of the custom 512kB tune files. These are partial files containing only the tuned section & will only take 1min to flash. After any Flash is complete, you will need to Write back the Coding Data as explained above

> Since I will be running the Stage2 tune, it was also recommended to me to install a new 3.5bar sensor - since it will allow me to run more boost without running into fuel pressure issues that occur when you get close to maxxing out the stock 2.5bar sensor (stated that stock sensor is theoretically capable of reading to about 21.5PSI)

> I also asked for recommendation as to what new plugs to run when I swap them out - was told AA typically uses NGK 97506 gapped to .019" - .020"

That's it - all done. Sounds like a lot, but actual time to completion is short
Wow I need to print this out thanks. How does the car feel?