View Single Post
      04-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #43
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
An oil change takes $50 of parts and fluids and takes all of fifteen minutes. Doing one after 1,200 miles is easy peace of mind. M cars still have it, and they largely run production based motors now.

You stated that modern engines are built to higher tolerances and don't have break in issues like older engines, but I've seen higher heavy metal numbers on newer, and especially turbo charged engines, than I did on older cars. I'm simply stating that if some BMW's recommend a low mileage oil change, and if real, measurable contaminants show up at those intervals, it's an easy decision for some of us to continue to do it on our cars. Do what you want with yours.
Sure, if it makes you feel better, than change your oil at 1200 miles by all means, its cheap insurance. Most of the new engines do not produce as much metal shaving after the break in period as the old days. Some contaminant in your oil is fine, even up to the testing max. allowable limit. Modern engine is a lot better than the old days. If BMW recommand a 1200 mile oil change after the break in, I would certainly follow their recommandation, but they do not with my car.
Appreciate 0