04-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #79
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Here's an example of how things are also muddled in the professional world of auto journalism.
This is from the same magazine C&D, talking about the IS250 and IS350 models, specifically the IS350 F sport:
When Lexus said we’d be in Austin to drive the new IS, we assumed we’d sample the sedan at the Circuit of the Americas. Not so. We instead went to Austin Driveway, a technical, vest-pocket circuit with 110-mph straights (at least in the IS350 F Sport), tight corners, and a junior version of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca’s famed Corkscrew. Lexus brought a BMW 335i and a Mercedes-Benz C350—both with sport-suspension options—plus a last-gen IS350 F Sport for comparison. Sadly, the car with the best-handling chassis in the segment, the Cadillac ATS, was absent. Stressing that this was a brief and informal track-only comparison—a proper comparo is forthcoming—we found the BMW was our favorite, with the IS350 F Sport a close second. There's a purity to the BMW's dynamics, with fluid, accurate steering and an inherent balance that's easily controlled with the throttle. In Austin, the Lexus delivered 90 percent of the same experience, but didn't feel as finely honed. The Mercedes had the lightest steering, and its grip likely was compromised by its standard mud-and-snow tires. (It’s also the oldest of the group; a new C is due in about a year.) The eight-speed in the IS350 is a nice addition, as its closer ratio steps keep things smoother and quieter than in the six-speed IS models.

If the 328i bests the IS250, then it might say something about the handling, but more than likely the majority of the commentary will about the big power difference.

The only true test to compare the handling differences between the 328i and 335i is to test equally setup 328i and 335i and then test between each other with drivers changing cars.
That has been done, and the conclusion was that the 328i has a lighter steering feel and slightly quicker transitional handling attributed mainly to weight, and likely non staggered tires, as staggered set up tends to create under steer. The 328i was judged to have better handling when comparing the two versions.

No, you're not the only one to notice it. I noticed it too, just as the reviewers noticed it. It's not that shocking, there is less weight up front, and depending on the version, the 328i has a square tire setup.
There is nothing truly different or magical about the suspension or chassis of the 328i compared to the 335i, they are pretty much the same car.
The handling difference is greatly overplayed by some on this forum. This was not expressed by the tester who drove both models. They noted the difference, but made no comments suggesting that there was a tremendous difference, nor that the handling of the 328i was vastly superior. It's noticeable, it's nice, move on.
On the track every little improvement is magnified and wanted and needed. For daily driving the difference is not as pronounced as some claim, and it's certainly not enough to make claims that the 335i can't win a comparo.

The 328i has been extensively tested as it was the first model released and it's the much greater selling 3 variant, you see them everywhere, and the sales numbers show that.
The 335i has not been tested nearly as much, and the Msport variants even less.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how a Lexus IS250 F sport will fare against a 328i sport/Msport.
BTW, I actually like how the new IS and F Sport look. I especially like the rear end, very sporty.

This is one comparison and the 335i lost by 1 point.
In nearly all the comparison reviews between the 328i sport/Msport and the ATS 2.0 sport, the ATS 2.0 sport was preferred due to it's better steering and feel, and over all handling. Yet, the 328i wins most of the comparisons.

What's really interesting is how many F30 328i owners seem to revel in this 335i loss to the new Lexus, with many E90 drivers looking for anything negative about either F30 variant.
I don't get it. Do people really need any kind of support they can get for their ego's.
I have nothing to revel in, in fact I have spent most of my efforts defending the 335 in this test.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0