View Single Post
      12-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #31
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockLOL View Post
Awesome! Glad it works goo d because I’m getting a Dinan tune too. I’m comparing to some other tunes like JB4 and such. Here is an issue that I recently saw:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1447431

But I like hearing the good reviews because most of the time people only post when they’re having problems so you start getting worried about all these things.
The post, at least how I read was regarding the JB tune. Only reference to Dinan was about the "Sport" tune (not the Stage 1 Elite). The Elite (Stage 1) as I understand it, controls more than just the boost. It controls other engine mapping and makes for a smoother more factory-like performance curve. The Dinan Elite tune is $1399 + install while the other power modules are in the $200-$500 price range.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not denigrating any of the other power modules. For many they provide an economical boost in power/performance w/o any issues. For others, their cars may not be trouble free w/ the power module installed (CEL's, Limp modes, etc.,). Additionally, most have to remove the modules before bringing the car in for service or risk having their car flagged and perhaps lose factory coverage should an engine problem occur.

At my age (mechanical ability level and tolerance for stress), I figured if I just spent $50K on a car; do I want to save $900 for a tune that risks my factory warranty and/or leaves me trying to resolve problems or CEL's that may occur or spend the $900 more for hassle-free/full coverage performance driving?

The Dinan Stage 1 may not be the hottest tune available, it does cover your car during the normal factory warranty period. This tells me the manufacturer is confident enough in their product to back it and your BMW motor w/ a warranty should any damage result. If you use an authorized Dinan dealer to do the install (my BMW dealer is also a Dinan dealer -1 hour labor charge), should I have any issue at all, I just take it in and the dealership handles everything through BMW/Dinan or both.

Being a Mini Cooper owner also (and Dinan is now fully supporting Mini as they do BMW), plenty of the Mini forum tuners are dumping their old power modules for the new Dinan Elite. As a side note, when I trade my Mini next year (mine has a JCW tune), I will opt for the Dinan Elite for $900 rather than spend nearly $2500 for the JCW factory tune again.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Appreciate 0