Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
Excellent review, thanks!

As expected, the 335i is faster, but the 328i is slightly better in handling. The steering, handling and ride comfort sounds perfect for me. Ditto for the 8speed Sport Auto.

Jason, any comments regarding the exterior design? How does the front look in person?
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

I purposely did not get into styling as that's a very subjective matter and there's been more than enough photos and videos posted by now for everyone to get a good sense of how the car looks.

Personally, I've been a fan of the F30 front end since it was revealed. I like the unique and creative way in which BMW has now exposed the sides of the kidney grilles, making them 3D. And I like the headlight-to-grille connection. Kidney grille shape is nice - very sleek and not too vertical which I was afraid it might be after seeing the 7 series grilles. I love the nine 3D grille slats on the Sport Line model (as opposed to the eleven flat grille slats on the other models). From the profile, the front looks awesome. It's got that more upright forward leaning shark-like nose, and again, the exposed sides of the kidney grilles adds a unique look never seen before on other production cars.

The only thing I don't like as much is the new hood cut line. Despite seeing it for a couple of years now on several late model BMWs introduced before the F30, it still hasn't grown on me much. But BMW says it's there as part of the design for pedestrian safety reasons, so it's not going away. Also, on the non M-sport models, the front seems a bit "thin," compared to the rear. I wish the lower bumper cover was just a bit lower and beefier to better match the rear's beefiness. But that's what the M Sport line is for. And I'm a huge fan of that. It's aggressive, stylish, and gives the car's front end a lot more powerful presence.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0