View Single Post
      10-16-2019, 11:56 PM   #64
larven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

This is what the motoring team at Compare the Market have to say about it.

Quote:
Do I need to tell my insurance provider if my car engine is remapped?

Yes, you do need to tell your insurance provider if your car has been remapped. In car insurance terms, remapping or chipping is considered a car modification, even if you can’t actually see it. If you don’t inform your insurance provider, it could invalidate your policy and you may even end up in trouble for hiding information.

Car engine remapping could mean a slight increase in the cost of your car insurance premium. And, even though remapping is increasingly more common, there are still some insurance providers who won’t cover your car if it’s been chipped.
I’ve had a look at various other mainstream outlets like the RAC and the Money-supermarket and they all advise the same. Some insurers won’t offer policies on remapped cars and for serious accidents they will likely check for everything, especially if there is a large claim from a third party.

The overwhelming consensus is that you should declare a remap and if the worst happened and the remap was discovered then don’t be surprised if your policy is declared void. I guess there is a small chance of getting caught but if an individual is prepared to take the risk that’s up to them.
Appreciate 0