10-16-2019, 06:11 AM   #16
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
That got me thinking and I believe you're correct.

FCA Handbook - Insurance: Conduct of Business

Cases where rejection of consumer’s claim is unreasonable: contracts on or after 1 August 2017.

8.1.2B
For contracts entered into or variations agreed on or after 1 August 2017, a rejection of a consumer policyholder's claim for breach of a condition or warranty (that is not subject to and within section 10 or 11 of the Insurance Act 2015) is unreasonable unless the circumstances of the claim are connected to the breach.

I read that as saying it is unreasonable for an insurance company to reject a claim if the breach of condition (i.e. policyholder not declaring a modification) is not related to the circumstances of the claim. E.g. they can't reject a claim for your car being keyed if you didn't declare your car was remapped.

Source: https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/ICOBS.pdf
Yes that's the new regulations I was talking about!

Now obviously if you lose control of your car on a bend and crash then they could rightfully say that the remap would be a contributing factor, but if you're sitting at 70mph on a motorway and a person/animal/vehicle steps/drives in front of you and you hit them then obviously a remap makes no difference whatsoever.

Similarly if you have wheel spacers and you crash into something/someone then the wheels spacers were not a contributing factor, but if your wheel falls off due to a faulty wheel spacer/bolt and you crash, then the spacers are a contributing factor.
Appreciate 0