12-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #77
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
When either of you work for an OEM and complete a qualification for a component, go through a recall, or any other actual warranty work, i'll listen to you. You have presented no facts, only opinions. It's clear that you don't know how quality control and supply chain works on the OEM side. So it's up to you on what you choose to believe, but I've been in it first hand for years. At no point could I or any of my peers deny a warranty claim because a part wasn't provided in a BMW box. It's a government mandated standard that all cars sold in the US must comply with. We paid the warranty claim, and then resolved the failure with the supplier. That's why every part includes and OEM part number, a supplier part number, and a supplier code. That is what the OEM uses to chase back quality issues.

Maybe that's the part you're missing, because BMW is not just blindly taking on costs for supplier defects. Like I said, we charge claims back to the supplier or initiate projects to identify the root cause to prove whether it was a design or manufacturing defect. That stops short in situations like the OP is in, which means there are potential issues that are never investigated or solved. And like the instances presented above with failing OEM components causing failures on modified cars, that's a really messed up situation to support on the OEM side. You know what the right thing to do is, but the customer gets screwed on a technicality. So yes, I disagree with how that is handled.

This will be my last try at explaining how it works to you guys. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. But I'm not the one that's confused here.
Basically what you're saying is if I buy a bad batch of correctly serialized Bosh plugs which damage my engine, BMW will warranty the repairs if my vehicle is within the factory warranty period?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0