View Single Post
      12-11-2018, 06:03 AM   #81
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Basically what you're saying is if I buy a bad batch of correctly serialized Bosh plugs which damage my engine, BMW will warranty the repairs if my vehicle is within the factory warranty period?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Yes. It is illegal for BMW to mandate that BMW-branded hardware be used on your car. The only case they can is if they have patented designs/process that they can prove that only they can manufacture due to complex design or whatever. That's why when you look up specs for oil, coolant, plugs, etc. in your service manual, it typically says "or equivalent."
What F32Fleet and myself (and everyone else) are trying to say is that what you're saying is partly true. BMW can't "mandate" you use their BMW branded hardware on your car. BMW also can't void your warranty if something in the car fails and they observe that you have a non-BMW branded item installed and it's unrelated to the failure.

However, if non-BMW branded hardware that you chose to use fails or is defective and causes a cascade of other failures, BMW is not responsible for all that damage regardless of whether the non-BMW branded hardware manufacturer specifies/claims it's "equivalent". It's the non BMW branded hardware manufacturer that is responsible in this case. That's the risk you assume when using non BMW branded hardware. In some cases, it's worth the risk, in other cases, it's not.

I think that's pretty clear and universally accepted judging from the previous posts.
Appreciate 0