02-12-2019, 04:08 AM   #78
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitectonix View Post

Just had my Dinan CAI installed last night.

The installation was detailed and well written, but some tips to make things a little easier:

STEP 3. Use a Torx tool to remove the two screws holding the sensor in place and remove the sensor. Do not drop or damage the sensor as it is very fragile. Set sensor aside. It will be reinstalled later.

I would have preferred to remove the MAF sensor and install it on the Dinan intake as the very last step of the installation process, reason being that I feel it is a lot safer while it's still intact onto the OEM air mass meter and you won't need to worry about setting it aside and worry about such a sensitive piece.

STEP 10. Remove the stock spring clips from the lower airbox. Simply bring the clip towards the airbox and push straight down as illustrated below.

This really is not as easy as they make it to be, as others have voiced as well.
I struggled a long time getting even one out, til I referred to this youtube video and it helped:

Lastly, Dinan instructs you to pretty much assemble everything and slide it onto the turbo opening. This is almost impossible and I struggled a lot with this part. I ended up deconstructing the elbow silicone hose & #64Z clamps.

I put on the silicone hose & #64Z clamps first onto the turbo and tightened the bottom clamp very securely make sure to feel around and that the hose is touching the bottom of the turbo opening lip.

Then I attached the elbow and clamped it to the first silicone hose. Tighten this just enough so you can rotate it a little bit. The indent on the elbow should give you an idea as to where it should go because there is a part of the vehicle frame that protrudes out, and that indent is there to clear it (very well thought out).

Then I attached the second silicone hose and secured the bottom clamps that attach to the elbow.

Last is attaching the Mass Air Meter / CF cover / filter (all already assembled) and sliding it into the second silicone hose.

You can adjust the positioning so that the CF cover sits nicely onto the OEM box. I wish there were some protection on the CF cover because the clips are very tight and scratch. I put duct tape to sort of protect it. After everything is perfectly lined up, tighten the clamp that was on the first hose, then work your way up tightening.

Close the airbox with the new dinan clips, and like I mentioned, I attached the MAF sensor LAST so it stays protected in the OEM air mass meter.

Hope this helps, and if anyone wants to correct my method, please feel free to chime in, as I don't claim to be an expert.

P.S. Dinan_Engineering and Dinan email tech are amazing group of people and very helpful.
Nice write up! Thank you.

Concerning the clips scratching the airbox - I plan on covering my clips with black heat shrink tubing prior to install. Its very thin and will contract to the clip profile once heated. Hopefully the added material won't affect the latching.
Appreciate 1