View Single Post
      05-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #56
CrumbyButter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

It's nice to see more positive than negative remarks on the 320i.

The fact is that any car purchase is very personal and in general according to your needs. It also goes beyond just the car itself. In my case I hardly drive as I take the train during the week, which means any car is relegated to weekend only use, maybe 3-4k miles put on in a year. It doesn't make sense for me to spend tons of money on higher trim levels or upgraded mechanicals.

I've had acuras before, which I liked, so naturally I started there, also checking out what was going on in the Honda line. Frankly I was not impressed with the "value" for the money. Shopping around, I was able to find many CPOd BMWs in my range, finally deciding on a 320xi which checked all the boxes.

With that I get a pretty fast car, the great automatic, nice interior, upgraded navi/media, woodgrain, etc etc. It's plenty fast for traffic-y driving, and the few chances i do get to use it on the open road for longer trips, I easily accelerate and blow by people going 70-75 without much effort. It's also a beautiful car.

The car also was eligible for the all maintenance covered program, so I got a nice refresh right before the original warranty ended (brakes, rotors, oil, etc etc). It's too bad BMW decided to end this.

My only gripe is that literally 2-3 weeks after the original warranty ended, it threw a CEL which ended up being the waste gate on the turbo. Not sure how common this is, and CPO covered it, but I think it's a good idea to get CPO on these cars if possible. (I would like to think that if I had complained loud enough, BMW would have helped me out in this instance, but who knows...)

So, in short, I don't think that for the money spent I'd get the same level of service or attention to detail elsewhere, in addition to it being a pretty good car for a base model.
Appreciate 0