View Single Post
      11-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #41
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
I said the other day this will probably be the last MT car I buy. I might be in this thing for 10 years or so. Get it while it still exists... all these 'auto is faster so it's better' people are ruining everything for us. Driving is nothing more than sitting in a chair.
It's technology to be honest, it keeps advancing and people have to adapt. Sure you can buy older cars nowadays with a manual, but soon they'll require more emission and safety checks etc...

If people don't buy manual, they won't make it. It's that simple, you can't force people to drive something they don't want to drive and buy something they don't want with their money. If you think driving is nothing more than sitting in a chair with a transmission, then you're driving wrong. It seems to me you're only driving the car for the transmission and not for the car. No matter which transmission you have, you should be enjoying how the car handles, how the torque throws you in the seat, how your engine and exhaust and turbo screams as you go up the RPMs.

It's not all about the transmission. You should go and try to sit in someone's GT3RS or something like that for a track day or even backroads. You'll be too busy trying not to die or keeping your eyes on the road to worry about the transmission, I had the chance to do so, and the car is scary as hell especially when the owner was telling me "oh you can go faster and brake later than that" when I'm used to braking earlier with my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
They've definitely been phasing them out of their lineup since then. I have two friends with 2014 A5s, both of which are manual. My buddy says he would be switching to our team when he upgrades, specifically so he can get a manual, so hopefully they're still around.

I do recall seeing a BMW engineer say that manuals would still be around for some time to come, but I'm not sure if that applies to M only or not.
I believe it only applies to M cars, especially M3/M4. They have always had a manual option and I don't believe they'll remove it for that car. However the normal 3-4-5-6-7 series (330i/340i etc..) will probably lose manual as it's more directed to the general population of "entry affordable luxury cars"

I think the 2 series will probably keep the manual as it's more or less the sporty compact coupe.